Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The evils of napping

A couple of weeks ago in Chicago Fresh Water Mussels was talking about how bad napping was for you. The problem, for her, was that naps were habit forming. Take a nap one afternoon, and you can't help but want to take one the next. And soon you're like Rip Van Winkle, Sir Sleepsalot, Nappy McGee. I remembered it being kind of funny and endearing, because later when we got back from the 40-year old virgin and discussed meeting friends for drinks she said she was just going to take a nap for a bit to rest up. I thought she was kidding. A midnight nap? Hopeless! I'll talk to you in the morning I said (correctly).

Lately though I've been trapped in a sick kind of marraige of insomnia and narcolepsy, and it's affecting work. So I'll concede her point: naps really are evil. And habit forming. Buckminster Fuller, he of the extemporaneous fourteen hour lectures on Spaceship Earth, once maintained that he had trained himself to exist on six twenty minute naps a day and nothing more (think of the efficiency!). Let's face it though - Fuller is a less than ideal role model.

As soon as I can get a good night's sleep, I'm quitting naps. I swear it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Thanks for the compliment, internet stranger. Seems that everyone is interested in nap-related content. Have you noticed that the site has been inundated with adverts for insomnia cures? Napping just pushed me past TWO DOLLARS in adsense fees. Yes!

Fri Sep 16, 06:23:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home